Huwebes, Disyembre 13, 2012

HW8: Survey Report



Conducting a survey is a part of my research paper to show a more reliable data because it includes actual and factual data from my respondents. I conducted my survey through online and I as well distributed questionnaires to be answered by people I can essentially reach such as my classmates, friends and family members. Unfortunately, only 38 people were able to respond to my survey.


This graph shows that 68% of the chart is covered by the female section (26 female respondents) and the remaining 32% is composed of the male section (12 male respondents).
Based from the graph, I have interpreted the data as: female seek fortune teller more often than male primarily because women are more emotional than men and with their belief that it is more relaxing to open problems to people such as friends, families, ect. while men want to just keep the problem on their own.



Based from the graph, 42.1% of the respondents believe that fortune telling is a business (28.77% female and 13.33% male); 13.08% of the respondents believe that fortune telling is a form of counseling, all coming from the female group; 42.21% of the respondents believe that fortune telling is fraudulent (23.54% from the female group and 18.67% from the male) and only 2.61% of the respondents believe that fortune telling is a gift from God, all coming from the female group.
Here, the data shows that ranking of fortune telling’s role in the society is:
  1.    Fraud/Fraudulent
  2.    Business
  3.    Counseling
(4.Gift from God)



The data shows that most of the respondents prefer Cartomancy and Astrology because these two methods are well-known. Cartomancy is the method of fortune telling used by most fortune teller including those in Quiapo while Astrology such as horoscope can be found in many forms/media such as in the internet, magazine and newspapers, while palmistry and crystallomancy are least preferred.



 Based from the graph almost half of my respondents experienced or believe that fortune telling is skeptical or doubtful (20.92% from female group and 26.67% from male group) but none of them experienced or believe that it is traumatic. 13.08% of female and 5.33% of male experienced/believe that fortune telling is pleasant or positive; and 34% experienced/believed that It is convincing all coming from the female group.
The experience/s of people in fortune telling might have a big impact to them psychologically. Those who experienced fortune telling pleasantly or positively might help them relieve anxiety and give a sense of security and confidence.  While those who experienced it as very convincing might give them the feeling of reliance to fortune telling because it already acquired their trust.



The graph shows that more than half of my respondents want to seek fortune telling for experience while almost 2/5 of them seek fortune telling to ask about their future and only 10.52% is to ask for advice.

One of my questions in my survey goes like this: “What are the questions/matters that you would ask a fortune teller?” My respondents answered that they want to ask about their: future, career and love life. There are also some who would like to ask when are they going to die or will they be rich.

Another question is “ Based on your experience/s with a fortune teller, how did it affects/influences you?”
Many of my respondents answered that fortune telling doesn’t have an effect or doesn’t influence them, but there are some who answered that fortune telling influences them in their decision making.



And for my last question, I ask them if they do believe in fortune telling. The graph shows that more than half of my respondents do not believe in fortune telling, 26.5% said that it is reliant/dependent to other matters such as: if the fortune teller is well known or not and only 13.13% believe in fortune telling.

Before I conducted a survey, I first formulated hypothesis: I supposed women take fortune telling or predictions seriously or meaningfully while men take it skeptically. This hypothesis has been proven by the fourth graph that almost half of my respondents experienced or believe that fortune telling is skeptical or doubtful (20.92% from female group and 26.67% from male group).

My second hypothesis is when I supposed that huge percentage of older people are believers of fortune telling or predictions because it appears that it is somewhat related to superstitious beliefs and only small percentage of believers comes from younger people. Unfortunately, I only have 5 respondents who are aged (ages 50-70) and I believe that this number is not enough to prove my second hypothesis. But those 5 respondents all believe in fortune telling which represented 13.13 % (based on the sixth graph).


2 komento: