Sabado, Oktubre 20, 2012

Quiapo Fortune Telling Peripheries


“In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the moneychangers at their business. And making a whip of cords, he drove them all, with the sheep and oxen, out of the temple; and he poured out the coins of the moneychangers, and overturned their tables. And he told those who sold the pigeons, ‘Take these things away; you shall not make my Father’s house a house of trade.’” —John 2:14-16



It was like a scene taken from the Bible itself. The Philippines is proudly known to be one of the Christian nations in Asia. The sides of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene, Quiapo Church are occupied with all that is pagan and unchristian. Rainbow colored candles, herbs and others as well pirated DVDs, many sold by local Muslims, prayers for hire and fortune telling.

But then again, the church itself is home to a most pagan tradition the Black Nazarene that attracts a fanatical group of devotees. And “pagan” is not a bad word. It is better that it be known as “indigenous Filipino and Asian beliefs.” That we practice Christianity in a very Filipino way is a successful subversion of a colonial tool. If Christ were here today, perhaps he would be cracking the whip inside the church. He may even go out to do some shopping.



On these past few days, I read about an article entitled “Madame Delea: Quiapo soothsayer” written by Dennis Villegas. The article is about an interview of one of the fortune tellers in the famous Quiapo church which reflects the scene from the bible to what is the reality at this moment.

According to the article, many of the fortune-tellers in Quiapo are old and middle-aged women, although there are also a few young women in their thirties, as well as some middle-aged men. In my own point of view, the age of the fortune teller matters because we have that impression that an old woman seemed more experienced and realistic in terms of her predictions compared to younger women and men.

“She told me that her gift of prophecy came from Senor Nazareno. Apparently, she started divination as a teen-ager, reading palms and numbers associated with people. She gained a following and eventually settled in Plaza Miranda in 1980, because the place was already known as the center of divination in downtown Manila.”

For me, many would want to be known as naturally gifted, they are quick to credit their supernatural powers to their patron saints. I really don’t believe that the gift of prophecy came from Senor Nazareno for the reason that other fortune tellers also claim that their gift is from Senor Nazareno and because they will easily deceive the people in that place for they are devotees of the Senor. Since Madame started at a very young age, I assume she either learned from family elders who were also practitioners or developed her skills by merely watching and receiving teachings from seasoned fortune tellers.

"You're lucky!" She declared to me. "You have a bright future. Your business will become prosperous, you will have many employees!" Indeed, I felt I was lucky even though I don't have a business and a single employee. Yet I felt I must believe her, so I can justify taking the risk of being caught by friends consulting a fortune-teller. Reading this part of the article made my belief even stronger that their predictions are not true, that they are not authentic fortune tellers. I believe that they are acting as if they are reliable for business or money.  

From what I understand, most of these fortune tellers of Quiapo advised their customers to follow their own path to salvation. Fortune telling in Quiapo is like an instinctive scam. But it can be a therapy for it has possible answers to one’s dilemma or questions which provide relief and hope to a person which can be associated with that of religion.

Kahlil Gibran once remarked, "We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." I have realized that I should fill my mind with whatever I wanted to happen in the future. Therefore, some of those developed thoughts are bound to become actual experiences. These fortune tellers of Quiapo proved me of the truth of the old saying that thoughts do, in fact, manifest themselves.


1 komento: